Welcome to Week 2 of the 4-Week Crap Cleanse!
What is the crap cleanse? The cleanse has been created to help you clear out unnecessary stuff in your life that is no longer serving you. In these 4 weeks together, we will be focusing on your living spaces, your body, your electronics, and your relationships.
How do you join? If you received this in email you are already signed up! If you didn’t, make sure to sign up here to get direct updates.
After signing up, make sure to join the Facebook event here to share any insights, progress, or ideas you have! Use this group to help with your accountability too.
How did week 1 go for you?
Did you experience any of the benefits I listed of clearing it? Do you feel lighter from clearing that clutter? More inspired? or maybe a peace of mind. I felt all 3 and more!
Man I accomplished a lot in ONE week compared to what I have in MONTHS. I created 2 large black trash bags of clothes to donate, I emptied one box from my move from DC a year ago and also cleared and emptied my desk so my brother could take it.
Not only did I clear clutter, I decided to get a beautiful little bouquet of flowers to brighten my room. And boy have they made my day. They are right next to me as I’m typing this! See the picture below! Pretty right?!
Now on to week 2- Body Crap Cleanse! Did you know certain types of food actually affect your moods? And if you are an ambitious person, you don’t want crappy moods because when you feel crappy, guess what you do?
So if you want to live a life of joy and reach all your dreams, you might want to consider looking at the food you are putting in your body. When you eat better, you feel better, and you do more. Tweet it.
And by doing more I mean having the energy to do the things you really want to do. There are certain foods that actually give you more energy. If you were able to adopt a lifestyle like this 90% of the time, you wouldn’t even need caffeine, you would be on a natural food high!
Don’t believe me? Try it yourself and find out! But I would say to give it at least 7 days of testing. All of this used to be complete foreign to me until I met the person I am about to introduce you to.
Instead of teaching about food myself, I thought: Wouldn’t it be fun to bring you a guest expert this week?! Tanuja Paruchuri is the founder of The Love Your Body Project and she has taught me a lot of what I know about food today. She went on her own journey and found her way to health through changing her food and she even lost 40 pounds along with it!
She created a video today especially for you with 5 steps to cleanse your body of crap. If some of the stuff sounds way over your head, don’t worry, just try to give one of her steps a try at minimum.
Everything she mentions is not any “fad diet” stuff, it is all through her personal life experiences, extensive research, and her health coaching school and includes experimenting which foods make you feel alive and amazing versus which foods make you feel sloggy and grouchy. I have personally worked with Tanuja and know that her techniques work!
She IS the person who introduced me to green smoothies that have done wonders for me for boost of energy. After you watch the video be sure to grab her free smoothie guide (with awesome recipes that I’ve tried too!) on her website here. Just scroll down and you will see where to enter your email to get it.
OH and SURPRISE! She will be answering YOUR food questions this week on the Facebook Event! Be sure to join the event and ask her anything you would like!
Love & Joy! Aditi Ramchandani
Tanuja Paruchuri is a Certified Holistic Health Coach through the Institute of Integrative Nutrition and the American Association of Drugless Practioners. She is the founder of The Love Your Body Project, which encourages women (and men) to achieve their full health potential through diet, exercise and spiritual growth. Tanuja lives in Houston, TX but works with clients all over the United States. To connect with Tanuja, please visit her fan page for The Love Your Body Project on Facebook, follow her on Twitter and visit her website at www.TheLoveYourBodyProject.com
More from Tanuja:
5 Steps to Cleansing Your Body of Crap
First of all, thank you so much to Aditi for hosting this Crap Cleanse and getting us all ready to start clean in 2014! That rhymes! Cleansing your body and mind are so essential to feeling clear and ready to handle whatever comes your way. It’s a great way to reduce stress on the body and mind, get your health to its ideal state, and even lose weight. I just want to be clear here, though – the purpose of this cleanse is NOT weight loss, it is gaining good health. Weight loss is often a pleasant side-effect of a cleanse, but the real purpose is to ease up on your digestive system and free up energy to allow your body to begin healing itself.
I’ve put together 5 steps so your body can start healing itself. Even if you just follow one of the recommendations in this post, I think you’ll feel a difference.
1. Elimination – Make sure you go to the bathroom (#2 obviously) every single day. Make it a priority to go in the morning before you start eating for the day. This will help your digestive system clear up before you start putting new stuff in. Having a clear digestive system allows nutrients to assimilate more efficiently and more completely. Otherwise, the food just sits on top of the other stuff that was in there already and it just putrefies in this great oven called the body. A clogged up digestive system results in bad skin, body odor, smelly farts, and of course constipation. And these are only a few of the bad things. Usually an inefficient digestive tract is due to insufficient water intake and fiber in the diet. Please do not try to drink Metamucil or something similar and call it fiber. You need fiber from whole plant-foods in order to really clean things up.
2. Water – My general rule for water intake is this – drink 70% of your body weight in ounces per day. For example, if you weigh 120 pounds, you should be drinking about 84 ounces of water per day. It’s good to start your day with more water and gradually ease up as you head towards nighttime. Work not to drink too much water (or other liquids) during meals because it dilutes the digestive juices and your digestion will not be as efficient. I recommend drinking at least 8 ounces of water right when you wake up in the morning and then follow it up with a mug of hot water and the juice of half a lemon. Personally, over the years I have trained myself to drink 24 ounces of water right when I wake up in the morning, then I go to the bathroom and then I have another 24 ounces of hot water with lemon. That gets the cleansing going and basically acts as a shower for your insides. Lemons are very alkalinizing, so it’s great to diminish any inflammation and free radicals in the body.
3. Food – Food – my most favorite thing in the world. Yes, most people wonder how I can possibly love food so much and go out to eat and still stay at a healthy weight. Well, I do love food, but I don’t let it control me. My rule of thumb here is about 80/20 or 90/10 if you’re ambitious. Eat clean and healthfully 80% of the time and give yourself a break 20% of the time. Most of do the opposite or just have 100% bad eating in general. During the cleanse – or most of the time in general – you should be avoiding the following: sugar, dairy, gluten, caffeine, alcohol, too much animal protein. You might ask, what can I eat then? Eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lentils, beans, and nuts and seeds. There’s no secret here – you just have to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. They are full of great micronutrients, minerals and fiber. And all of their components are necessary to clean up the body. My recommendation here is to have a green smoothie every single morning. Even if you don’t change anything else about your diet, this will help immensely to improve the nutrient profile in your body. Green smoothies are just fruit, leafy greens and water blended together. Some people don’t love the taste, and some people do. Either way, I encourage people to drink it as if it were medicine because it has all the healing power your body needs. Green smoothies will make your skin glow and your hair and nails shiny and strong. They will also help to cut sugar cravings! This is great news for people live on processed sugars, white rice, white bread, white pasta, white potatoes, and fast food. This is your miracle drug! Drink it religiously to see all the benefits. Personally, I have 24 ounces of green smoothie every morning after I work out. To get you started, I’d like to offer you my Green Smoothie Guide as a gift. Enjoy!
4. Exercise – Exercise is a great way to rid the body of toxins through sweating and movement. It’s also an awesome stress reliever and makes your skin glow! I strive to work out 6 days a week for one hour per day. You don’t even need to do that much to see the benefits. Even just 3-4 days per week at 30 minutes per day will show you some great results. My favorite exercise is walking. It’s easy, free and very beneficial. Of course, right now it’s freezing and who wants to walk in the cold? Not this girl. So, what’s my go to? DVDs! Yes, I LOVE DVDs! All of my friends who come over will tell you how many workout DVDs I have. It’s a lot. My favorite is any of the Tracy Anderson Method DVDs. For beginners, I’ll recommend the Mat DVD. I don’t get paid for saying this – I have just seen it work on me, that’s why I love it so much. Next, is just putting Pandora on and dancing around your living room. There is no need to join an expensive gym or do the latest fads like Crossfit. Just do whatever you enjoy and whatever works well for you.
5. Quiet Time – Having some quiet time all to yourself without any distractions – technology or otherwise – allows your mind time to rejuvenate. This is critical to cleansing completely – quieting your mind gives you the opportunity to understand why you’re doing certain things or eating certain things. It gives you awareness. Just take 5-10 minutes each day and sit quietly. Focus on your breath or some mantra or some affirmation. It’s easier said than done, believe me. But the peace you feel in those few minutes is so worth it – and not only that, it extends to your entire day!
I hope these tips were helpful to you and that you implement at least one of them. If you’re going to choose just one thing, I would recommend the green smoothie. But they are all equally important. One other thing – with food or exercise or eliminating or quiet time, the one thing you need to be is consistent. Consistent people see the most benefits. I can’t stress that enough. If you have any questions, feel free to email me or post on Aditi’s Crap Cleanse wall. I will be answering questions there for the next week or so! Best of luck and let me know how things turn out!